Tuesday 31 May 2011

Scrolls of ancient wisdom—well, not really, but close


In my last post I mentioned finding a few articles on a local BBS in the mid-nineties which got me into astral projection. I'll share them with you since they're all worth reading! Here they are at their current homes around the web...

Astral Projection 101” by Edgar van Oostrum
Treatise on Astral Projection” by Robert Bruce

The “Sales Pitch” by Aaron Frale is a fun read, and along with “Astral Projection 101” it's a perfect introduction for first time readers.

Robert Bruce is a great writer with a lot of detailed theories about astral projection. There's lots of practical techniques for those who are interested. I haven't read his book Astral Dynamics, but I suspect it's a superb read. You can check it out here, along with his other books. His website also has lots of good resources.

The fourth text was a short article by Charles W. Leadbeater, a Theosophist. I've lost the file, and haven't found it again on the net. I'll probably make some later posts about him and about Theosophy in general. A very interesting group of people, but I always take their writing with a grain of salt, given some of the claims that they've made. But then again, you should take everything you read with a grain of salt. Don't believe it until you've experienced it for yourself!

Leadbeater wrote in the late 19th
and early 20th century
There's a whole book you can read on-line by Leadbeater called The Astral Plane (or simply Manual no. 5 to Theosophists). It's an exciting read, but like I said (and as Leadbeater often said himself), don't believe it until you've seen it. Lots of exciting descriptions of elementals, fairies, astral werewolves and vampires.

In later posts, I'll talk about some other authors who I've read since then. So who's your favourite writer or book on the topic? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment